02 September 2015

Time ages in a hurry



Μετὰ τὴν σσιάν τάχιστα χρόνος. After the shadow time ages in a hurry.

Time Ages in a Hurry is the title of a marvelous book of short stories by Antonio Tabucchi, published by archipelagobooks.org. The line, attributed in the book to the Critias, is from a late antique commentary.

Time surprises. Time ages in a hurry. I have never been so aware of time. I am currently making plans for moving in December from Seattle -- after twelve years in this wonderful house, back to Washington, DC.  I will be going back to the apartment where I have lived longer than any place in my life, taking it over from the daughter who took it over when I moved here.

This will be my 15th move as an adult, and the first I have not wanted. This house is full of light: it faces due east and on sunny mornings, I begin my day by coming down the stairs into pools of liquid light. I have never before lived where I could have a garden but I have grown roses here, and developed my own garden.  There is a grape arbor -- I've mentioned that before.  And there have been the birds!  The smaller ones follow me around the yard and when I go on walks. The crows track me from room to room in the house, and a member of the third generation I have fed informs me quietly when their food pan is empty. His parents below -- a pairing that lasted only for a year -- would come sit near us when we would sit in the yard.   This small corner lot is overflowing with gratitude.

Meanwhile, I find I am not able to maintain this blog reliably.  There will be erratic posts while I try to decide what to do about it.  I am grateful for my readers -- there have been nearly half a million individual looks at material here, and especially for you who have taken the trouble to comment or write me. If Time permits, I would love to continue writing.


























8 comments:

  1. I'm a latecomer to this blog, but I have enjoyed it very much. Love the photos in this loving but bittersweet entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful writing and photos thanx !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't stop writing. This is nearly the finest blog I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely of you to say so. I am slowly constructing a few more blogs, but the 15thC documents are nearly used up, and I have no crows or garden here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please don't stop. Just put your musings down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes please don't stop. Just put your musings down...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fix "σσιάν". It is "σκιάν".

    ReplyDelete

  8. Good job, keep sharing these type of article with us.

    housing options
    corporate lodging

    ReplyDelete

I will not publish Anonymous comments.